Saturday, April 10, 2010

Meeting with Dr. Kalam, Former President of India on 22 August 2006

As soon as I entered the room, Dr. Kalam greeted me warmly saying, “Swamiji how are you?” I said “I am alright, how about you?” He said, “I am also fine.” He was seated in a chair near his executive table. I handed him over the flower bouquet, he accepted it warmly saying thank you. He inquired as to where I had been. I told him that I was returning from Chapara (Bihar) after my lecture tour. Then I handed over to him the gift packet containing books and VCDs and a big portrait of Swami Vivekananda. He exclaimed, “Oh! It is quite big!” I said, “Yes, I brought it so that it will adorn the walls of Rashtrapati Bhavan”. At first I showed him the book of Swami Ranganathanandaji Maharaj (My life is My Work). He exclaimed, “He was a great personality! Perhaps someone has already given me this book”. I showed him the book “Swami Vivekananda and emerging India” published recently by our Rajkot centre. When I gave him my book – ‘Teacher as a Torch Bearer of Change’, he got so much interested that he started turning the pages of the book and read out loudly with a tone of surprise- ‘An electric shock needed!’ I said, “Yes, that is what is needed to awaken our teachers and that electric shock will come from the books of Swami Vivekananda. This is how the French savant Romain Rolland describes the effect of the words of Swami Vivekananda”. After that he started the turning the pages of my book ‘Happiness and Peace in Everyday Life’. I told him that the book is based on my lecture on the same subject and on “Nurturing Relationship” at Ahmedabad Management Association. I wrote on the first page of the book –To

Respected Dr. APJ Abdul Kalamji

With profound regards and

Prayerful best wishes.

- Swami Nikhileswarananda
22/8/2006

I handed him over the VCD based on his speech at Porbandar on 12-01-2006, and many VCDs based on my lectures at Ahmedabad Management Association, South Africa and other places. Then I gave the brochure of Vadodara Centre and explained to him that Swami Vivekananda stayed in Dilaram Bungalow as the guest of the then Diwan of Vadodara – Shri Manilal Jashbhai. This bungalow has now been handed over by the Government of Gujarat to the Ramakrishna Mission on 30 years lease for converting it in to a befitting memorial of Swmi Vivekananda. I told him that a new centre at Vadodara started on 18th April 2005, the day on which the bungalow was received, and I took charge on the same day but continued to be in charge of Porbandar centre till 14th January 2006. He asked me, “Who has taken the charge of Porbandar centre?” I said, “Swami Avyayatmanand has taken the charge. He was present when you came to Porbandar on 12th January. I am glad to inform you that many students have started visiting the Institute VIVEC (Vivekananda Institute of Value Education and Culture) inaugurated by you; some short-term programs have already been started, and more programmes will be started.” Then I told him that now I was concentrating on the development of Vadodara centre. I told him about the activities of Vadodara centre including the relief work for flood affected people being carried out. He said, “You are giving so many lectures, meeting the students; you are always active, busy with something or the other, travelling so much developing new centers, how do you get so much energy, Swamiji? Is it from Swami Vivekananda?” I replied, “Yes, he is our source of inspiration and power”.

Then I handed him over the letter written by me requesting him to come to Vadodara on 12th January. He read the letter and said, “Swamiji, I think it would be difficult to spare time during that period because I have to finish many important things before July next year, because as you know, my tenure is ending in July next year.” I said, “We all wish and pray that you should continue as The President of India, many feel happy about it, particularly the youths take you as a role model”. He said, “No swamiji, I like to be the teacher once again; that is my usual self.” Then I said, that for the sake of the nation, he should continue. He emphatically said. “No, no I am a teacher and I want to be a teacher only”.

Then I told him that he could come on 11th November when he would be passing through Vadodara. He confirmed over intercom phone with his secretary that he was to go to Ahmedabad and Chapaner on 11th November. He said that he will try to include the visit to Vadodara centre. I thanked him and said that we will try to organize a Youth Convention when thousands of youths will participate. He noted something on my letter of request.

Then I handed over him a letter of Swami Gokulanandaji, the head of Delhi, Center, in which he had requested him to seek an appointment with him so that he could invite him to come to Delhi Ashram for inaugurating the Exhibition on Swami Vivekananda. After reading the letter he said, “Oh, going to a place in Delhi itself is easy”. Then he noted something on the letter.

After this I requested him to call the photographer so that I could present the first copy of the book ‘Indomitable Spirit’ based on the inspiring speech delivered by him during the youth convention organized by Ramakrishna Mission at Porbandar as a part of National Youth Day celebration on 12th January 2006 (Swami Vivekananda’s birthday). He called for the photographer and started turning the pages of the book. He said “Another book with the name ‘Indomitable spirit’ is coming out soon. Have you already printed this book?” I replied, “Yes, we have already printed ten thousand copies. We kept this title because it was given in your website from where we took the speech. We had sent the pre publication copy for your kind perusal and, you had kindly sent your message which has been printed on first page”. Then he thought over it and said, “I think there should not be any problem.” When the photograph was been taken, he gave a hearty smile. The time of my meeting was coming to an end, so I took leave of him

No comments:

Post a Comment