Saturday, April 10, 2010

Meeting with Dr. Kalam,Former President of India on 19 September 2005

As soon as I entered the room, Dr. Kalam stood up and heartily welcomed me and smilingly said, “ Swamiji we are meeting after a long time”. I said, “Yes it is more than two year since we met. I am happy to meet you after a long time.” (My last meeting with him took place at Rashtrapati Bhavan on 16th April 2003). Then he humbly said “ Swamiji, I am sorry for making you wait” (My appointment was fixed at 3.15 pm but I had to wait for about 50 minutes, therefore he told this.) I was charmed by his humility. I gave him a bouquet but before that he gave me a basket of fruits. He was pleased to accept a big portrait of Swami Vivekananda and a packet of books containing the Gospel of Shri Ramakrishna, Pictorial biographies of Shri Ramakrishna, Holy Mother Shri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda and books of “Thus Spake Series” etc. He seemed to be familiar with this spake series when I showed him “Thus spake Prophet Mohammed and other books, he exclaimed “Oh, they are popular books published long ago!” I requested him to go through the “Gospel of Shri Ramakrishna” and gave details as to under what circumstances that book was published, how it was becoming popular all over the world after being translated into numerous languages.

I presented him a copy of the book “ To the Youth of India” published by Ramkrishna Mission, Porbandar based on the inspiring speech delivered by him to about 3000 youths assembled during the inauguration of one of the 81 school buildings constructed by Ramkrishna Mission as a part of Earthquake Rehabilitation Project on 13.02.2002. While going through the book he was looking at some of the photographs intently as if recalling the old memories. Then he remembered about our discussions during our car travel from Rajkot to Porbandar on 13.2.2002 for about three hours and again during our air travel from Rajkot to Mumbai on the same day for about 50 minutes saying “ it was a wonderful experience”. I told him that the book is becoming a popular.

Then I presented him a copy of the Report of the activities of Porbander centre for the period 1997 – 2004. He glanced through the pages and exclaimed “ Oh you have able to bring so many people !”.

Then I presented him the printed brochure of Vadodara centre containing original handwriting of Swami Vivekananda. He watched it with interest. He was glad to learn that a new center of Ramkrishna Mission had been started at Vadodara after the historic Dilaram Bunglow, sanctified by the stay of Swami Vivekananda was given by the Government of Gujarat to Ramkrishna Mission for converting into a befitting Memorial of Swami Vivekananda. I requested him to visit Vadodara as per his convenience.

He also glanced through the printed brochures of Gujarat Earthquake Rehabilitation Programme and on Sunami relief work. He also tuned the pages of the newly published book by Ramkrishna Mission gifted by me and said,” Swamiji, I recently visited Calcutta and saw the birthplace of Swami Vivekananda and met many swamiji’s there. “ I said” Yes, read the report of your visit and your inspiring speak there. You had mentioned in that speech about Swami Vivekananda’s association with Jamshedji Tata.” I refrained from telling him that there was a slight mistake in his description of relationship between Swami Vivekananda and Jamshedji Tata. I gifted him many Video CD’s, one of them being based on the speech delivered by him at Porbandar on 13.2.2002. I told him that we have distributed 100 of copies of this VCD and 1000 people have watched all over the world. I told him that I showed this portion of VCD’s during my presentation in the 2nd International Conference on Disaster Management held at Coventry University, UK in April last year and many participants appreciated. I told him that the devotees and admirers at many centres in Europe also enjoyed it. When the CD was shown during my visit to those countries in Europe last year, I told him that even in South Africa and Mauritices people have watched this VCD with interest when the VCD was given to them by me during my visit to South Africa and Mauritices last year. I told him, I had left South Africa just three days earlier to visit Durban and told him that people of South Africa were quite excited about his visit to South Africa.

Dr.Kalam said “Swamiji I have decide to come to Porbandar. You know, Porbandar holds dual attraction for me Swamiji’s memorial and the birthplace of Mahatma Gandhi.” Then he added “ Is it not wonderful that both Swami Vivekananda and Mahatma Gandhi were contemporaries and meet each other.” I clarified that although both Swami Vivekananda & Mahatma Gandhi were contemporaries but they did not met each other. Mahatma Gandhi had gone all the way to Belur Math to meet Swami Vivekananda but at that time Swamiji had gone to Calcutta and Gandhiji has to return without meeting him, Gandhiji was disappointed. But Gandhiji had great admiration for Swamiji. When he went Belur Math again 1921, he advised the Youths Association on that occasion to go through the books of Swami Vivekananda saying that he had gone through the books of Swami Vivekananda thoroughly and the love that he had for his motherland became a thousand fold after reading his books.

I told him that we will require about 90 minutes of his time, out of which 30 minutes will be required for the Inaugural Ceremony of Vivekananda Institute of Value Education and Culture (VIVEC) and an hour will be required for Youth Convention when he will address about 6000to 8000 youths and answer their questions. Dr. Kalam said, “please select about 70 to 80 questions and sent them to me in advance. I may not be able to reply all of them during the meeting however I shall reply a few during the meeting and rest of the answers I will put in my website.”

I informed him, “12th January being the birthday of Swami Vivekananda is celebrated as a National Youth Day but unfortunately the circular of the Government of India regarding celebration of Swami Vivekananda’s birthday as a National Youth Day has not gone to various educational institutes. The Ministry of Sports and Youth affairs has sent the circular to Nehru Yuva Kendras and other institutes but there is no circular from Ministry of HRD to Educational Institutes. We do not want that 12thJanuary be declared as a holiday like Gandhiji’s birthday. But we want that at least the Educational Institutions should be directed to observe the birthday of Swami Vivekananda in a befitting manner. We shall try to approach the Ministry of Human Resource Development and at that time we will request you to kindly help us in this matter.” Then I requested him to speak something about Swami Vivekananda during his speech to the Youth of 12th January being the Birthday of Swami Vivekananda. He instantly replied “ “ Swamiji my message and Swamiji’s message are the same.”

We were so much observed talking each other that we did not know 15 minutes had already elapsed till a person came to remind us about it. I instantly got up and made a move. Dr.Kalam also got up from his chair and with folded hands, smilingly said “God Bless You.” I went back from the door and told him that we were praying for his health and long life since his life is very precious and since after a long period the youths have found a Role Model in turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment